Presentation of the Spike Rush, new Valorant game mode
The official release of Valorant marks the arrival of the Spike Rush. This is a brand new game mode, much faster and designed above all for fun.
A classic game of Valorant immerses us in an environment that can be stressful and requires being available for at least half an hour. The goal of Riot Games with the Spike Rush is to create a space where players can breathe and have fun on Valorant, in shorter games.
What's the Spike Rush?
The basic mechanics of the game remain the same. Two teams of 5 players compete on one of the available maps. Attackers have to plant the Spike on bomb sites, while Defenders must prevent them to do it.
It's in the rhythm of the game that things really change:
- Games are played in 6 rounds (first to 4 wins)
- Rounds are much shorter (1 minute 20 seconds)
- Players start each round with all abilities (except the Ultimate)
- Each kill earns two Ultimate points.
But there are three particularities that spice up the game.
- Every Attacker carries a Spike.
- There is no buy phase, all players have the same weapon, selected randomly at the beginning of each round.
- Power Orbs appear on the map.
Orbs with different powers
At the beginning of each round, 2 to 5 orbs with different properties appear at randomly selected places on the map. Orbs offer various powers to the player who picks them up.
There are 5 different orbs:
- The Red Orb offers a persistent damage bonus until the end of the round.
- The Blue Orb fully charges your Ultimate.
- The Yellow Orb creates a ground area. Every player who walks on it will have a temporary movement speed bonus.
- The Green Orb offers a disabling disaggregation bonus.
- The Orange Orb equips the player with a random weapon whose rate of fire and reload have been improved.